The Training Unit in the Monitoring, Evaluation and Training Department of Statistics Sierra Leone (Stats SL) is responsible to plan, design and implement a structured training program and policies for the institution. Training plays a large role in the overall success of an organization. Hiring good people and training them to be the best they can be, helps retain employees and creates a productive workforce.
The functions of this unit include:
- To improve the productivity of the staff and the institution.
- To prepare staff for promotion to higher jobs by imparting in them advanced skills.
- Develop and implement training policies for maximizing Stats SL’s operational efficiency and profitability.
- Facilitating the flow of information and recommendations about existing training and development programmes.
The Overall objectives of the training include:
- To Increase job satisfaction and morale among staff.
- To Increase staff motivation.
- To Increase efficiencies in processes, resulting in financial gain.
- To Increase capacity to adopt new technologies and methods.
- To Increase innovation in strategies and products.
- To reduce staff turnover.
The specific objectives of the Stats SL Internal Training include;
- To ensure adequate training (Internal) of Stats SL staff in both technical and non-technical areas to be efficient and effective in their work.
- To create partnerships with other institutions and to share knowledge and facilitate trainings as may be appropriate.
- To ensure and maintain experts' knowledge management bank for Stats SL, government, organizations and public consumption.
THE NEED FOR TRAINING OF STAFF
The need for training was identified based on existing competence in Statistics Sierra Leone (Stats SL). An important aspect in building the right competence is to find out what the different employees are good at and like doing that is important for the institution. The difference between what competences you have and what you need is what you ought to focus on achieving. To find out what is needed, a gap analysis was conducted. Hard and soft skills training needs were identified. Trainers were identified, as well as the training facilities (Stats SL Data Science Hall and the Conference Room) and last but not least: the Trainees. The management was an integrated part of the process as most of the Trainers identified are from the team. Without management ownership of the training process, it is not likely to succeed. The management also has an understanding both of the existing competence in the institution and of what the needs of tomorrow will be.
Internal Training programme which covers the Hard and soft skills needs of Stats SL staff are ongoing. Training of official statistics producers and users from MDAs on Statistical software packages are also ongoing.
The quality of the National Statistical System (NSS) to a large degree depends on the performance of the staff. Training is therefore very important for the institutional development and success. Training can improve the performance and productivity of the staff and ensure that they have the relevant skills. If staff is trained well, he or she will become more efficient and productive. It has specific goals of improving one's capacity, capability, productivity and performance. Hence, making sure the staff has adequate skills is crucial. The training of Stats SL staff, official statistics producers and users from MDAs according to the training needs will increase their skills in the performance of their job. An increase in the skills will help to increase both quantity and quality of output.