The office of the Statistician General is responsible for the following:
- Management of the funds, property and business of Statistics Sierra Leone (Stats SL).
- Provision of professional leadership and direction in the planning, building and implementation of activities within the framework of Statistics Sierra Leone.
- Provision of technical support for the identification of the capacity needs of Statistics and the National Statistical System (NSS) and coordination of training of Statistics Sierra Leone Staff.
- Coordination of the collection, compilation, processing, analysis, publication and dissemination of statistical information relating to the commercial industrial, agricultural, social, financial, economic and other activities and conditions of residents of Sierra Leone.
- Conduction of the Decennial Household Census.
- Adoption of the policies developed by the Sierra Leone Statistics Council for ensuring that official Statistics in Sierra Leone comply with the fundamental principles laid down by the United Nations.
- Development of relationships with those who use Sierra Leone Official Statistics and ensuring that the Statistics collected by Statistics in Sierra Leone are responsive to a range of user needs.
- Collaboration and building of relationships with government and other stakeholders, including the donor community, in carrying out the mandate of Statistics Sierra Leone.
- Representation of Statistics Sierra Leone and the National Statistical System at local and international levels on matters concerning development projects and operations relating to Statistics Sierra Leone.