The main role of the Project Management and Statistical Coordination Directorate is to provide Quality Management Framework to manage Stats SL Projects and statistical processes, covering various methodological aspects needed to produce high quality official statistics. The methodological aspects focus on sampling, survey design and other areas such as questionnaire design and statistical inference. Quality issues are normally domain and process specific, to ensure that the statistical business processes employed by other functional units are harmonized in terms of data and metadata. Also, statistical coordination within Stats SL and other MDAs to strengthen the National Statistical System (NSS) will be fully utilized by this directorate. The directorate may also be required to assist in the setting-up and updating of a number of administrative registers used for benchmarking national and international frameworks such as the PRSPs and the SDGs.
There are two (2) sub-sections of the directorate, namely:
(i) Statistical Coordination
(ii) Field Operations and Logistics.
Brief Description of Sections of the Directorate
(i) Statistical Coordination
Statistical coordination within SSL and other MDAs, to strengthen the National Statistical System (NSS) will be fully utilized by this section. In addition to the data needs, the section may also be required in the setting-up and updating of a number of administrative registers used for benchmarking national and international frameworks such as the Poverty Reduction Strategy Papers (PRSPs) and the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). More specifically, gender, youth, disability and environment statistics which are cross-cutting will be addressed concisely for the benefit of national and international partners.
It is often challenging to find the right datasets in a user-friendly format across a plethora of local institutions-from available portals and platforms/data infrastructure, thus inhibiting further use, application, and innovation around these data. Most of the institutions lack adequate access to quality up-to-date data with inadequate data infrastructure and there is insufficient coordination and collaboration required for data sharing on critical issues affecting the country. This highlights the critical importance of integrating relevant data into the larger sustainable development data activities. However, challenges such as capacity gaps in collecting relevant data, dearth of valid quality data, and lack of a harmonized policy approach to open data are among factors affecting use of relevant data effectively for decision-making.
Thus Stats SL, through the units of the SDGs, Open Data Revolution and the National Statistical System will support stakeholders in the coordination and collaboration required for data sharing on critical issues affecting the country.
(ii) Field Operations & Logistics
Field operations and logistics section is responsible for the design and implementation of strategies to drive the field operations of projects implemented by Stats SL. It has two sub-units: Contracts & Budgeting and Logistics. The functions of this section include:
- Develop and implement policies for maximizing Stats SL’s operational efficiency and profitability,
- Review all contracts and budgets of external projects to Stats SL and recommend to the Statistician General for approval,
- Coordinate ethical clearance and ensure action is budgeted for,
- Address and resolve all issues concerning field office operations,
- Monitor key metrics and develop action plans for improving Stats SL profits
- Develop and implement best practices and procedures to enhance growth
- Oversee the preparation, allocation and management of operations budget to ensure target achievement
- Collaborate with functional units of Stats SL to integrate new or existing services
- Manage services provided by Stats SL to ensure they meet client expectations and requirements
- Build and maintain positive trust relationship with clients to minimize clientele attrition
- Ensure Stat SL operations comply with all local legislations
- Create and oversee the implementation of field tools to enhance operational effectiveness
- Ensure Stat SL operations are completed in a timely and effective manner.